User Tag List

Thread: Warranty Issue? LOOK HERE FIRST!!!

Founding Father/SCS Original
    Threads
    Car
    Ver8 ej207 + 6 speed

Default Warranty Issue? LOOK HERE FIRST!!!

This thread is designed to help you if you have a Subaru factory or extended Warranty.

If you have an aftermarket warranty.... read the fine print on your contract.

Subaru Factory Warranty runs 3 year 36,000 miles bumper to bumper and 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain. From my experience (i've owned over 18 cars) Subaru offers one of the best warranties in the market.

What is covered?

look here, it's a lot!

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2009.html

What if I'm not sure if it is covered?

Call or visit the dealer and ask

Is a dealer required to warranty a part?

YES and NO. A dealer make decline a warranty eligible part based on a few criteria:

1. Conditions under which the part failed (abuse, neglect, improper installation)
    2. Where the part was purchased from and where it was installed.(subaru part installed by a local non-subaru shop)
    3. Rude Customer (if you're an ass they can tell you to pound sand)
    4. Another dealers mistake (if the part installed by another subaru dealer they can require you to go back to them if within 90 miles)

What if I am in Warranty and the dealer won't Warranty the part?

In order:
    1. See above 1-4.
    2. Ask the dealer for "good faith" repair (any dealer in NE can authorize up to $1200.00 in warranty repairs to any car 8 years 80,000 miles)
    3. Call 1-800-Subaru3 (be polite or you will get no where)
    4. Ask the dealer for a 50/50 split (you pay half, they pay half)

What is a "Good Faith" repair and how do I get one?

A good faith repair is done on a part that is out of warranty and not covered. Subaru will "good faith" a part for a loyal owner to keep them as a customer. Any dealer in NE can authorize up to $1200.00 in warranty repairs to any car 8 years 80,000 miles.

This doesn't happen often. If you're not a loyal subaru service customer/subaru owner don't expect to get a part covered under good faith.

For Example:

Sue drives a 2006 Legacy Outback with 79,000miles,she bought it new at the dealer. Sue has done all of her major services at Subaru and has been a loyal customer.

Sue hears a loud noise coming from the rear of her car. Sue goes to the dealer and they find a bad clutch pack. Subaru covers the clutch pack under "good faith" and Sue pays $0-1/2 the cost for the repair OR pays all labor or all parts

What can I do to ensure that my car stays warrantied during the 3/36-5/60?

1. Don't modify your car. ()
    2. If you do your own maintenance or have a non subaru tech perform it DOCUMENT IT. Receipts, printouts and procedures.
    3. Report any problem as soon as it happens. If you have a rattle in the transmission at 59,998 miles REPORT IT. Even if they don't find something wrong it doesn't mean that at 80,000 its not gonna go bad. If it's documented you have strong case for coverage even out of warranty.
    4. 30,000 mile services. DO THEM!!!! It's the first question a dealer is gonna ask when you have a drivetrain problem. I STRONGLY (I speak from experience) recommend that you have them done (every 30k) at a dealer.
    You have a FAR better chance of out of warranty coverage if you have Subaru do your 30k maintenance.
    5. Maintenance: DO IT, oil changes, diff fluid, coolant, filters, tranny fluids, tire rotate, alignment. I've seen well maintained Subarus eclipse 350,000 miles.

What parts are covered outside of the 3/36-5/60?

1. Seat Belts. If your dog chews through them or you damage them they are not covered.
    SEAT BELT COVERAGE lasts for the useful life of the vehicle and includes seat belts and related components which fail to function properly during normal use. This warranty does not apply to cosmetic appearance, such as color fading, when the seat belts function properly. Coverage also excludes any electrical related components or body anchor points.
    2. Catylitic Converters. Covered under federal law 8 years/80,000 miles or whichever comes first. If you get a P0420 code and you are 8year/80k or less take the car to the dealer.

Steps taken by dealer/customer:

1. Owner/Dealer observes Check Engine light
    2. Car is diagnosed with P0420. Customer is not charged for diagnosis if this is the only code.
    3. Code is cleared and owner is informed of procedure.
    4. Owner drives car until light comes back on. (it may not)
    5. Check Engine Light comes back on. Dealer replaces Catalytic converters at no charge under federal law.

What are some maintenance items that are covered under warranty?

Alignment: only one per car in the first 15,000 miles
    Wipers: only one set during 3year/36k (car must have failed OEM wipers at the time of replacement)
    Brake Pads: must have failed due to installation error or part failure
    Last edited by Bu11dogg2; 10-01-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Threads
    Journal
    04 Hybrid WRX/STi

Nice write up.

What about the tires for life program. Isn't that part of the warranty?

Founding Father/SCS Original
    Threads
    Car
    Ver8 ej207 + 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Berge56 View Post
    Nice write up.

What about the tires for life program. Isn't that part of the warranty?

??

is this a new thing?

Threads
    Journal
    04 Hybrid WRX/STi

my wifes 09 leggacy has it. The catch is that you have to have the dealer do all the maintenance.