User Tag List

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Simplicity 92 Legacy

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Hope they will work. Now I just have to cut up the headlights on my parts car.

2.0L
    Threads
    Car
    92 Legacy SS, 6mt

Great thread! It is good to see the classics being enjoyed and upgraded. I did a retrofit to the headlights on my car. It was a major PITA to sand the fluting on the lens and I still need to touch it up but I am happy with the results

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Quote Originally Posted by urabusturbo View Post
    Great thread! It is good to see the classics being enjoyed and upgraded. I did a retrofit to the headlights on my car. It was a major PITA to sand the fluting on the lens and I still need to touch it up but I am happy with the results
    Thanks! And yours looks sweet. I was thinking it was going to be a pain to remove the fluting, but i'll take my time and make sure it's done right. What did you use to remove it?, glad to see someone else has done this I'm thinking I'll paint mine black as well while I have it apart.

2.0L
    Threads
    Car
    92 Legacy SS, 6mt

I just used coarse sandpaper and worked up to smoother grades as I went. I polished it with the 3m kit but the circular bit does not fit in the corners of the lens so I had to do my best by hand in those spots. Judging by the quality of work on other things on your cars I am sure yours will look better than mine

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

I don't know, those look like they came out pretty well. They are basically identical to what I have been planing too. Maybe I could get a cone shaped buffer to get the edges.

Threads
    Car
    05 Lotus Elise

You should make a DIY thread on how you do your retrofit. I would like to see how its done so I could try my hand at it in the future.

The headlights on those leggys suck
    "Power is effective in the straights, weight is effective everywhere" - Colin Chapman

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Quote Originally Posted by Subyspeed View Post
    You should make a DIY thread on how you do your retrofit. I would like to see how its done so I could try my hand at it in the future.

The headlights on those leggys suck
    Will do! And I agree these lights suck, even with my hellas on it's not enough to make up for it.

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

My projectors wont be shipped until February I'm going to pull the lights out of my parts car at least, take them apart, and ready them for the swap.

Threads
    Car
    05 Lotus Elise

"Power is effective in the straights, weight is effective everywhere" - Colin Chapman

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Well even though my projectors wont come in for a while I decided to start the project anyway. I will make a DYI after I complete them, but for now I'll just post here to update progress.

Today so far I pulled the lights off from my parts car, this was rather easy as it was all apart and I only had to remove the three bolts that hold them in, and the bulb harness. I then cleaned the mold off from them.

I then baked both lights (one at a time) for 15min at 250* placing some wood slats under them to keep them off the cookie sheet I was using. After that I used a small flathead to pry the lenses off carefully, both came off with ease.

Now I need to start sanding the backside of the lenses to get them clear. I'll keep updating as I go.

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

I sanded down the fluting on the back side of the lenses, I started by using my 90* grinder. Which got rid of most of it.

I couldn't reach the bottom side of the lens or the corners with the 90* grinder, so I then used the dremel tool I had kicking around to get to those areas.

I then started sanding the lenses down with normal sand paper starting with some pretty course stuff, and that's as far as I have gotten as of now. I'll start using less course sand paper tomorrow and slowly working my way to a polished finish. I have to polish the outside of the lenses as well.

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Today I did more sanding, to the point where my fingers started to hurt.

These pics are with 400 grit paper.

After that I moved on to my 3m headlight buffing kit

And then they looked like this

There are still a few light scratches that I want to remove, but I will have to get another buffing kit, as the one I was using is pretty much finished off. I've used it on three other cars already.

Threads
    Journal
    04 Hybrid WRX/STi

Wow great work!
    Hidden Content

RIP Chris @EFI

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

Quote Originally Posted by Berge56 View Post
    Wow great work!
    Thanks man! I hope it's worth it when it's all done. I've never really attempted anything like this before, I'm excited to see the results, and the possibility of having decent headlights is a nice thought as well

Threads
    Car
    91 ss, 84 GL, 86brat

My projectors came yesterday so I did a bit of work on them this afternoon.

I had to cut a small section of the bucket out.

Painted them black.

I also painted the chrome on the lenses black.

Up next a round of epoxy.....

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast